Mexico is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and for this reason, the country is one of the most visited countries on Earth. Ancient ruins and buildings, beaches, nature and so much more… Mexico has it all. Also, despite its many problems, Mexico is an economic powerhouse with a GDP of over 1.2 trillion U.S. dollars. But… if you are looking for reasons not to move to Mexico, then you have come to the right place.
1. Lack of Jobs – Despite having a GDP of just over 1.2 trillion dollars (the second largest in Latin America after Brazil), there is a huge demand for jobs in the country, especially good-paying jobs. Even low paying jobs are difficult to find. As a result, a lot of people make the journey up north to the United States in search of better opportunities. There are lots of very low paying jobs. The average income in Mexico is around $9000 per year. However, a very large number of people in Mexico earn as little as $50 US per week.
2. Very High Level of Corruption – Mexico is one of the most corrupt countries in the Americas. There is corruption at every level of government/municipality and this costs people’s jobs and lives.
3. High Crime – Thanks to the many Cartels in Mexico, the country has a high crime rate, especially in the cities of Tijuana and Juárez.
4. Human Rights Abuses – This includes things such as torture, police repression, executions, rape, murder and domestic violence and more.
5. Air pollution – This is mostly limited to Mexico City, the largest city in North America but it is something to consider if you do decide to move to Mexico’s capital city. It is estimated that almost 1000 people die because of the air pollution in the city. Over 30,000 hospitalizations annually.
6. Natural Disasters – Mexico doesn’t get a lot of natural disasters but it gets a fair number of Earthquakes and Hurricanes/tropical storms.
7. Language Barrier – You must learn Spanish if you want to learn Mexico, so if you don’t want to be bothered with a new language, then do not move to Mexico.
8. Different Culture – Another reason you may not want to move to Mexico is the culture. Unless you are open-minded to travelling and trying new things, then Mexico is not for you. It is more suitable for those who are into Latin culture.
9. Too Many People – Mexico is the 10th most populous nation in the world with a population of over 128 million people. Why can this work against you? Refer to reason number 1. A lack of jobs and a very large population are not a good combination.
10. Overwhelmingly Catholic – This is not really a reason not to move to Mexico (in our opinion) but it is definitely something to consider if you are of a different faith such as Islam, Buddhism, and others. Over 80% of the population is Catholic.